Sunday, June 8, 2008

This blog isn't dead, but...

I do need to think about about its purpose.

Look, let's face it. Writing is therapeutic for me. When I'm really frustrated about a certain topic, when I have a lot to say, then blogging about it is easy. I started this blog to write about my struggles as an ADHD adult in the workplace in the hope, possibly a hopelessly naive hope but nevertheless a well-intentioned one, that others facing similar struggles might stumble upon it and relate to it.

My career issues are far from resolved in any permanent way, but things have taken some turns for the better. I really do thank God for that. But that doesn't mean that the broader issues of how people like me make a living are any less critical to discuss. It just means that I feel less sense of personal urgency to discuss them. I know that the issues that have led me to feel so ill-suited to the working world are still out there, in part because I know of people who've been victimized by the same rigidity from the same specific actors that I've miraculously found a way to cope with.

I hope to recruit other guest bloggers or permanent contributors who share my interest in discussing square pegs fitting into vocational round holes. The less I make Dynamo in a Box my own "Dear Diary" where I turn only when I feel bummed out about work, the more value it will have to others, I imagine.

See, that's my curse, to be both MBTI intuitive and to be an incorrigible empath. So I not only care about the big picture, but I care about the fact that the big picture makes lots of people desperately unhappy. I'm glad my personal situation is fixed, at least until 2009, the first date I can realistically enroll in grad school. But it still makes me really sad that change comes so slowly in the macro, that there are probably 1000 employers in the US every day harassing people who broadly speaking share my personality traits.

So I'll promise to keep this blog going if you'll promise to help me out. You can do this by commenting to let me know you read. Nothing intelligent is required -- just let me know you're reading. It motivates me to work harder to hunt down quality content rather than to be satisfied with my own navel-gazing. Of course if you have any other specific suggestions, I appreciate the feedback.

And of course, if you want to contribute more publicly to this discussion, I'd love to have you write here.

No comments: