Thursday, September 18, 2008

The "P" in INFP stands for "Perfection"

Until very recently, when I came across Robert Kiyosaki’s "Rich Dad’s Cashflow Quadrant", I was completely content with my career. As a freelance writer, I am my own boss. I don’t have to deal with daily traffic jams, rigid working hours and psychotic bosses.

So imagine my surprise when I read similar words in Kiyosaki’s book. He writes that the self-employed are: "People who want to ‘Be their own boss.’ Or they like to: ‘Do their own thing.’ I call this group the ‘do-it-yourselfers.’" I must admit, this is a very accurate description of me!

I was rather disturbed when I read that Kiyosaki thinks we in the "S" (Self-employed) quadrant are governed by fear, just like the people in the "E" (Employee) quadrant. He writes: "So while the 'E' or employee often will respond to the fear of not having money by seeking "security", the 'S' often will respond...not by seeking security, but by taking control of the situation and doing it on their own." Aaaaah yes. Control. Incidentally, Personalitypages.com says this about INFPs: "In group situations, they may have a 'control' problem."

Personalitypages.com also says that the INFPs "have very high standards and are perfectionists." Kiyosaki writes: "Self-employed people are often hard-core 'perfectionists'. They often want to do something exceptionally well." Kiyosaki goes on to say that "In their mind, they do not think anyone else does it better than they can do it, so they really do not trust anyone else to do it the way they like it...the way they think is the ‘right way’". Personalitypages.com says INFPs "may have problems working on a project in a group, because their standards are likely to be higher than other members of the group."

So what is so bad about being in the "E" or "S" quadrant? Kiyosaki gives us the answer: "Most of us have heard that the secrets to great riches and wealth are 1)OPT – Other People’s Time 2) OPM – Other People’s Money. OPT and OPM are found in the right side of the quadrant." This right side of the quadrant is occupied by B (business owners) and I (investors). Kiyosaki goes on to say that "For the most part, people who work in the left side of the Quadrant are the OP (Other People) whose time and money are being used." Ouch and double ouch!!!

Kiyosaki gives a very good reason why I, as someone in the "S" quadrant, should be seriously thinking of moving into the "B" and "I" quadrants: "One of the drawbacks of being a successful "S" is that success simply means more hard work...good work results in more hard work and longer hours."

Hmmmm...food for thought. In order to move to the B and I quadrants, I need to get rid of my perfectionist tendencies. After all, no one’s perfect. Not even me.

1 comment:

That guy said...

Thanks for posting this. Lots to think about, especially in idea of moving from the left-hand to right-hand quadrants. I need to dig a little deeper to better understand what that means, about being a person who has my time and resources exploited by others.

But it certainly rings true!