Monday, March 24, 2008

Career counseling VI: Holding pattern

I'm only now writing about my career counseling session last week because I was out of town for a long weekend.

I've been trying to do informational interviews with college career counselors, but so far it's been slow going. Granted that this is partially because I haven't felt really motivated in the past two weeks, but it's also been because of some hiccups along the way. One woman from my college's alumni network never replied to my two emails; another had just had a baby and pointed me to a professional association instead of talking directly to me. I gained a little bit of information by calling the graduate admissions department at Peabody (Vanderbilt), so I learned what the best particular options would be there. But in general I still have a lot of work to do.

Therefore my conversation with Debbie was only 15 minutes, enough for me to report to her and promise to make more progress these next few weeks. Actually I asked for 3 weeks before the next session to give me enough time for my research.

Heh, I really just want to go play poker all day for a living and forget this tough stuff. :)

No comments: