Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Self-discipline

In abstract terms, I know that my life would supposedly be better if I'd stop surfing around the Internet looking for stuff to make me think during work hours. And indeed, I try to give myself rewards when I do settle down and focus, e.g. counting up the times I shut down unrelated Web sites and giving myself 20 cents per occurrence toward some book or something that I'd like to buy.

But the sad fact is, I don't get enough stimulation from software to keep me going. I get some stimulation, and that tends to create a mirage. If only I could work on cool projects, if only I could use the right technology, if only I could use agile methods, then I would be happy working in this job function. And over time, I've come to really question that. I think development is something that can be really cool in the short term, especially when it's done well, with unit tests and pair programming and such. Some ADHD people are good programmers, but their brain might not work exactly like mine. Maybe coding just isn't enough to keep me going.

What is?

No comments: