Monday, January 28, 2008

Wanna read something simultaneously heartbreaking and infuriating?

Check out the number of threads on the ADDForums career forum that are essentially the same theme: I have ADHD, somehow I didn't fit in the paradigm expected in my job, so I got fired.


Now, lest you think I'm just endorsing whining, no, I don't know the specifics of every situation, and I don't know those where some accommodation could have been made versus those where the person wasn't fit for the role in the first place. But I do know from first-hand experience that Corporate America is basically organized on the principle that, where the individual is incompatible with her work environment, it's 100% incumbent on the individual to change or leave. The corporation never adapts its hours, performance evaluation, work culture, etc. to the needs of the individual. (The only exception in the US that I'm aware of is where the individual aggressively demands accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and a lot of ADHD people are reluctant to make these demands for various reasons.) I could be unfairly projecting from my own experience, but what I read there makes me think I'm not. Maybe there are a couple of individual-friendly corporations, and maybe like Google they get to pick from the top 0.01% of available talent, but those are very much the exception.

Anyway, I'm still slogging along in an ill-fitting career, but reading that forum makes me realize how much worse it could be. At least they're not trying to fire me (yet).

No comments: